It is our first challenge of the year over at The Paper Funday.
Our challenges are always Anything Goes with an optional twist.
The twist this time is to use blue in your project.
We have 2 sponsors for each challenge this year. I opted to use images from a new to me designer Karamfila. I was truly stunned at how many digital papers, clip art and outline stamps there are in her Etsy store. They are so elegant just like the lady herself.
For this project I chose to use Articland Doodles. It has a fabulous selection of winter themed images which will be perfect for Christmas cards. I have already got my eye on a few other images from the set but particularly wanted to use the penguins.
I had seen a little video of how to make a hat for a pom pom snowman garland using a toilet paper roll and wanted to have a go at making a hat to adorn the penguins heads. I tried and better tried to get some blue wool. I managed to get some aqua but it was far too green to use for this project.
Plan B - I did have was some blue stranded cotton skeins which I use for cross stitch. I cut some lengths and started looping them round the cardboard. I however totally underestimated how much thread I would need. I used 2 full skeins of the light blue but still needed more to fill it. No more thread the same colour so I used a darker blue and created a striped effect which looks better anyway. It took nearly 4 full skeins of thread to make this so I will definitely use wool next time!
The hat is really easy to make. You loop the threads and secure with a slipknot. Then group all the threads together and tie another piece around them. The loose ends can then be fanned out like a pompom and trimmed as required to neaten. I then used some wadding to stuff into the hat so it would keep it's shape.
Once I had the hat made I could then print the image out to fit. It is coloured with Promarkers and I then cut it out with my small pointed trusty Fiskars scissors. I used some grey card for the body and rolled it up into a tube. I then added it to the inside of the hat and stuck the penguin on with red line double sided tape.
The first image from the set at the top of this post has the ear muffs on. I have put this on one side of the tube so it is double sided.
On the other side is the plain penguin. I posed him with some little snowmen my Mother in Law knitted for me. They are having a snowball fight with some glittery Docrafts snowballs.
I am really pleased with how this has turned out. I just love it when I see an image and a little idea pops up of how to use it. It's nice to create something different from a card every now and again too.
We have so many fabulous sponsors this year and I am looking forward to working with their images.
I hope you will join myself and our fabulous team over at The Paper Funday Challenge.
Project Details -
Size - 13cm high
Colouring Medium - Promarkers
Embellishments - almost 4 skeins of embroidery thread!
I would like to enter this card into the following challenges (in Alphabetical Order)
- 2 Crafty Critter Crazies - #46 Anything Goes with a Critter
- 613 Avenue Create - #1 Anything Goes
- A Bit More Time to Craft - #131 Anything Goes
- A Bit More Time to Craft Extra - Anything Goes
- A Perfect Time To Craft - #1 Anything Goes
- A Place to Start - 1 Anything Goes
- Allsorts - #605 Anything Goes
- Angie’s Digital Stamps - #48 Anything Goes
- Cardz TV - #131 Anything Goes
- CD Sunday Plus - #51 Anything Goes
- Christmas Craft Creations - Christmas Blues
- Classic Design Challenge - #1 Anything Goes
- Colouring in Scrapland - Anything Goes
- Crafter’s Castle - #37 Anything Goes
- Crafting Happiness - #78 A is for Animals
- Crafts Galore Encore - #83 Anything Goes
- Crafty Animals - #46 Anything Goes with an animal/insect
- Crafty Calendar Challenge - Make It Cute
- Crafty Creations - #417 Anything Goes
- Crafty Friends - #148 Anything Goes
- Crafty Gals Corner - #214 Tis The Season
- Creatalicious Challenges - #202 Anything Goes
- Creative Sketchy Girls - #55 Anything Goes
- Crimbo Crackers - #223 Anything Goes Christmas
- Dare 2B Artzy - Anything Goes
- Digi Choosday - #1 Anything Goes
- Digi Doodle Studios - #34 Anything Goes
- Fezziwigs Festive Frolics - Anything Festive Goes
- Gem of A Challenge - #1 Anything Goes
- Get Creative Challenges - #97 Anything Goes
- Ike’s World Challenge - #140 Anything Goes
- Jan’s Digi Stamps - Anything Goes
- LeAnn’s World 101 - #34 Anything Goes
- Lemon Shortbread - #136 Anything Goes
- Let’s Craft & Create - #167 Anything Goes
- Lil Patch of Crafty Friends - #149 Anything Goes
- Love To Craft - #54 Anything Goes
- Love To Scrap - #141 Anything Goes
- Merry Little Christmas - #30 Anything Goes
- Mix It Up Challenge - #45 Anything Goes
- Morgan’s Art World - #1 Anything Goes
- Not Just Cards - Anything Goes
- Pearly Sparkles - #58 Sonething Beginning with P (Penguin)
- Penny’s Challenge - #487 Anything Goes
- Polkadoodles - #1 Anything Goes
- QKR Stampede - #411 Anything Goes
- Stamps & Fun = Creativity - #380 Winter
- Sweet Stampers - #51 Anything Goes
- The Creative Crafters - #35 Anything Goes
- Through The Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
- We Love 2 Create - #1 Anything Goes
- Word Art Wednesday - #473-474 Anything Goes
- World Wide Open Design Team Challenge - #12 Anything Goes
- Your Scrapbook Place - Anything Goes